Bicarbonate soda, more commonly known as baking soda, has the ability to neutralise acidic odours whilst still show kindness to the environment and aquatic life. Baking soda is not just used for cooking these days too. It is a kitchen staple and for good reason… Here’s some of the great ways you can use baking soda around the home. Share any other tips with us in the comments below!
1. Exfoliator. Reward yourself an invigorating facial and body scrub with 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water. Alternatively, dissolve 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a tub of warm water for a spa soak for your feet.
2. Teeth whitening. There’s no need to spend lots of money on expensive toothpastes and whitening kits anymore. Simply mix together a small amount of baking soda and salt to clean your teeth for the same whitening effect.
3. Shampoo. At a camping trip with no time or water to freshen up your hair? Quickly sprinkle some baking soda and talcum powder on your hairbrush and comb through to absorb the excess oil. Alternatively mix 1 part baking soda with 3 parts water for a cheap hair shampoo alternative.
4. Cleaning. Baking soda on a clean damp sponge can easily clean the microwave, coffee pot, oven, shower curtain, and car.
5. Deodorising. Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on the cutting board, in the trash cans, dishwasher, lunch boxes, sneakers, cat boxes, closets, and refrigerator to absorb lingering odours.
6. Camping cure-all. Baking soda is a must-have for your next camping trip. It’s a dish washer, pot scrubber, hand cleanser, deodorant, toothpaste, and fire extinguisher.
7. Fire extinguisher. Do not panic when there’s a cooking fire in your kitchen, simply throw handfuls of baking soda at the small fire to smother the flames.
8. Vegetable cleaner. Baking soda is the food safe way to clean dirt and residual off fresh fruit and vegetables.
9. Sunburn soother. Got a nasty burn and no aloe vera on hand? Add 1 cup of baking soda to a bath and soak for at least 15 minutes. This treatment will ease the pain and redness – you’ll come out fully refreshed.
10. Deodorant. Out of deodorant? Dust a little baking soda under each arm will keep sweating and odours at bay.
11. Laundry booster. Add half a cup of baking soda to your wash cycle to brighten colours and soften clothes.
12. Sink un-clogger. Add a cup of baking soda to any drain, let it sit for an hour. Then, boil 2 cups of vinegar and dump it down the drain, run hot water and your drain will not smell anymore, it’s pretty fantastic.
13. Oven cleaner. Dust the inside of your oven with a light coat of baking soda. Spray vinegar over the top of it until it begins to fizz. Leave the solution in for at least four hours and then wipe with a damp cloth.
Baking soda is one of the most versatile household items you can have… What other ways do you use baking soda? Share your tips and ideas here!