This one of those great versatile recipes you can throw almost anything into. This tasty version calls for leeks, mushrooms and rocket for your daily veggie hit, while the ham and feta add a nice salty finish. The use of feta cheese instead of cheddar means you get to cut back on calories without losing any of the flavour. Serve it up with a nice spoonful of onion marmalade to really take it to the next level and a handful of fresh salad leaves to finish. Dig in!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek (pale part only), thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup (60ml) light milk
- 100g sliced ham, chopped
- 1 cup (30g) rocket leaves, chopped
- 50g reduced fat feta, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1/2 cup onion marmalade, optional (store bought is fine)
- 2 cups mixed salad leaves
1. Heat the oil in a 26cm non-stick frypan over low heat. Add the leek, zucchini, mushrooms and a little salt and pepper, then cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes until softened.
2. In a bowl, lightly whisk the eggs with milk and season with salt and pepper.
3. Scatter the ham, rocket and feta in the frypan over the leek mixture, then pour over the egg mixture. Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until the egg is almost set.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Transfer the frypan to the grill and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the top of the frittata is golden and set.
5. Cut into wedges and serve with some onion marmalade and salad leaves.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here