Christmas wouldn’t be the same without a truly delicious stuffing to dig into at lunch or dinner! This amazing version is filled with the best Christmas flavours with orange zest, smoked pancetta, sage and hazelnuts all working together. You can stuff it into your meat – it works perfectly with turkey or chicken – or spread the mix out in a tray and bake it in the oven separately to serve up alongside your meal. If you feel like getting creative though, the latest stuffing trend in the foodie world is to roll it into balls and bake in the oven before serving a few up to each guest. Delish!
- 150g pack diced smoked pancetta
- 75g butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- grated zest 1 orange
- 200g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped sage
- 50g hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Heat a large frying pan and add the pancetta. Cook for 2-3 mins until just starting to turn golden. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the butter, onions and garlic to the pan, and cook for 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl with the pancetta. Leave to cool.
2. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Stir the orange zest, breadcrumbs, sage and nuts into the onion mixture and mix well. Season, then stir in enough of the beaten egg to bind the mixture but not make it sloppy. Use to stuff the turkey or shape into balls, place in a roasting tin and cook for 30 mins.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here