Start your day off right with two of your daily five vegetables with these delicious savoury muffins. They are packed with protein, which will keep you fuller for longer and are a great snack to eat when you’re rushing out the door in the morning! You can make a batch at the beginning of the week and keep them fresh in an air-tight container – that way you’ve got breakfast sorted from Monday to Friday. The muffins in the picture were made using a mini-muffin tray, but we’ve also provided measurements for standard-sized muffins, too – just in case you need something a little bigger to start your day!
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 cups grated tasty cheese
- 100g ham, chopped
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced chives
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fruit chutney
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 12 x 1/2 cup capacity or a 6 x 3/4-cup capacity muffin pan. Line bases of holes with baking paper.
2. Sift flour into a large bowl. Add cheese, ham, zucchini, carrot and chives. Whisk milk, egg and chutney in a jug until well combined. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients. Pour in milk mixture. Using a large metal spoon, gently mix until just combined. Spoon into muffin holes.
3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 3 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here