Carrot cake is definitely an old favourite and although the traditional recipes are full of healthy carrots, the sugar that goes along with it… is not so healthy. This Carrot Cake recipe has no sugar, no gluten and no natural sweetener. Packed with amazing ingredients to get you feeling your best!
If you LOVE this recipe then you might like The Merrymaker Sisters’ brand new book: Make It Merry, A Healthy Cookbook. It’s full of over 70 nutritious, quick and easy recipes to boost your health and happiness!
SWEETENER FREE, SUGAR FREE, GRAIN FREE, GLUTEN FREE CARROT CAKE
Prep Time 15 min Cook Time 35 min Total Time 50 min
Stuff you need
For the cake
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 carrots peeled and grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
For the frosting
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 1 lemon juice and rind
- 1 tsp. 100% vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F) and line 2 x 10 cm (4 inch) spring form cake tins. Or you can use 1 larger cake tin.
- In a large bowl combine the almond meal, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the eggs, melted butter, coconut milk, carrots and stir really well.
- Fill the cake tins with the cake batter and place in to the oven for 35 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before turning out and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, let’s make the frosting!
- In your blender or food processor whiz the coconut until super fine.
- Add the butter cubes and continue to whiz, it should be getting smooth.
- Add the lemon juice, rind as well as the vanilla and continue to whiz.
- Once the cakes have cooled, spread frosting on top of both cakes evenly, the carefully place one cake on top of the other.
- Sprinkle with a few extra walnuts!
If your taste buds like it a little sweet, add 1-3 tbs. of 100% maple syrup or honey to the cake batter and/or frosting.