This tasty carrot cake is the best way to embrace Autumn and the coming cooler seasons. The moist carrot cake base is the perfect mix of sweet and spice, while the cream cheese icing is topped with toasted coconut for a nutty crunch.
- Olive oil, to grease
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 (about 300g) carrots
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (80g) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (185ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125ml) golden syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 250g spreadable cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 170C or 150C fan-forced. Grease a 20cm (base) round cake pan lightly with oil, and line with non-stick baking paper. Peel and grate the carrots, and set aside.
2. Put coconut in an ungreased shallow pan and bake in oven for 5-7 minutes, until lightly brown. Meanwhile, sift the flours, bicarb soda and cinnamon into a large bowl. When coconut is toasted, reserve 1/3 cup for icing and put remaining coconut into bowl with flour mixture.
3. Put the brown sugar, oil, golden syrup, eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl. Use a balloon whisk to mix until combined.
4. Pour the oil mixture into the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to stir gently until just combined. Stir in the grated carrot.
5. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 1 hour. Set aside for 5 minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the icing, place the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Use a wooden spoon to mix until well combined.
7. Spread the icing over the cake and top with remaining coconut.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here