If you are looking to try something a bit different for dinner, then why not try this risotto dish? It takes a much overlooked vegetable and turns it into the star of this dish. With just 15 minutes of preparation time and a further 25 minutes to cook, this dish can be on your table in under an hour. The colour and beautiful taste is sure to be a winner at your house.
- Take the beetroot and stock and combine in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil before reducing the heat and allowing to simmer gently.
- In a large pan heat half the oil before adding the sausages. Cook for 5 minutes or until each sausage is brown all over. Transfer sausages to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan before adding the garlic and fennel. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions have softened and taken on a light golden colour.
- Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes (the rice should appear less glassy by this stage).
- Add the wine to the rice and continuously stir with a wooden spoon until all the liquid has been absorbed. Then add the 1/2 cup of beetroot mixture and again stir until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Continue to add the beetroot/stock mixture to the rice a ladleful at a time, stirring continuously. Do not add another ladle of liquid to the pot until the previous one has been absorbed.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender yet firm.
- Remove the pan from heat and toss in the sausage, spinach and parmesan then stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
If you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.