Pumpkin is one of the most versatile and enjoyable vegetables – not to mention it’s great for you. This delicious recipe contains healthy ingredients and is such a cinch to make.
Why not make it for dinner this week?
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (basil, oregano or Italian herbs)
- sheet of filo pastry
- cooking oil spray
- 1 onion
- chopped 4 rashers (200g) shortcut bacon, chopped
- 2 cups diced cooked pumpkin
- 200g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 200g reduced-fat feta, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated reduced-fat cheese
- 1 cup skim milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 8 cups steamed greens, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place rice, eggs, parmesan and herbs into a bowl and mix well. Place the sheet of puff pastry into sides and base of a 26cm pie dish, then fill with the mixture. Bake for 10 minutes then set aside to cool.
- Put a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and lightly spray with oil. Stir-fry onion and bacon until cooked, then place into dish together with pumpkin, spinach and cheese.
- Mix milk, eggs, thyme and some ground black pepper together. Pour into the dish over other ingredients and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 35–45 minutes, or until filling is set and surface is golden brown. Rest for 5 minutes, then serve with steamed greens.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.