If you’re craving a tropical getaway, but aren’t quite going to make it, whip up these muffins and bring the tropical island to your kitchen instead! They have all the flavours needed to whisk your tastebuds into an island holiday extravaganza. The pineapple and coconut work perfectly together in the muffins, with coconut milk keeping them nice and moist. Meanwhile the coconut glaze it the perfect finish, lifting it to a whole new level. Dig in!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups coconut flakes
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup drained tinned pineapple cubes, chopped
For the icing:
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons light coconut milk
- pineapple slices and shaved coconut for garnish (optional)
1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat oven to 180°C. Line 12-cup capacity muffin tray with cupcake liners. Stir butter with sugar and salt in a large bowl until creamy. Whisk in eggs, one by one, until combined. Whisk in coconut milk and 3/4 cup coconut.
2. Add flour and baking powder to the bowl and whisk until combined. Whisk in pineapple cubes. Divide batter between muffin tray and sprinkle the tops with the remaining coconut. Bake until golden and just set, about 20 minutes. Let muffins cool in the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
3. After the muffins have cooled, combine powdered sugar and coconut milk in a bowl. Drizzle the icing over the muffins. Garnish with pineapple slices and coconut shavings if desired.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here