Move over lemon, you’ve got some competition! This orange bar recipe is loaded with a tonne of citrus flavour and is so easy to make. It uses a lot of orange zest in the filling; you’ll never want to go back to lemon bars again. As well, the crust is buttery and crunchy – what more could you want? It makes about 12 to 16 squares.
- 125 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of orange zest (1 – 2 oranges)
- 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice (1 orange)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
Garnish – powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175C and grease 20 x 20cm baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine butter, flour, sugar and vanilla and place in pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until brown
- Combine orange juice, zest, eggs, sugar, salt and baking powder. Whisk together until mixed.
- Pour filling onto hot crust and bake for 20-25 minutes or until filling is set.
- Let cool, cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar.
Tell us, will you try making this? Have you ever made orange bars before?
Originally published here