Three layers. One batter. This magic cake has taken the online world by storm and it’s not hard to see why: it’s easy to make and has three distinct layers. Try it out for yourself!
People swear by this cake as it takes no effort to get the layers to separate and give a wonderful texture.
- 4 room temperature eggs (separate yolks from whites)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 125 g (1 stick or ½ cup) butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups lukewarm milk
- powdered sugar for dusting cake
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Grease a 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish.
- Separate eggs and mix egg whites until stiff. Set aside
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until light. Add butter and vanilla extract and continue beating for another minute or two then add the flour and mix it in fully.
- Slowly start adding the milk and beat until everything is mixed together. Add the egg whites, a third at a time and gently fold them in using a spatula, repeating until all egg whites are folded in.
- Pour into baking dish and bake for 40 to 70 minutes or until the top is lightly golden. The baking time will varies depending on your oven, so check at 40 minutes and see how it looks.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar after cake has cooled.
Image source: Pizza Rossa