When it comes to snack time it’s easy for most of us to reach for the biccies even when we know we shouldn’t. These delicious jaffa balls are a great alternative and really satisfy that sweet tooth! They’re packed with natural, whole ingredients with cacao powder and orange juice coming together to create that old-school jaffa flavour. If you’ve got the grandkids for the afternoon, they make a great treat for them too, without filing them with sugary treats.
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup fresh dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut, plus extra to coat
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1½ teaspoon fresh orange juice and ½ tsp orange zest
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
1. Process nuts in a blender or food processor until fine crumbs form. Add dates and process to combine, then add remaining ingredients and process until mixture comes together.
2. Place extra coconut on a plate. Using clean hands, form mixture into balls. Roll balls in coconut to coat. Chill. Serve.
Add more honey or orange juice if the mixture is too dry. If mixture is too wet add more processed nuts. Adjust spice and zest amounts to taste.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here