Family recipes always seem to be extra special and extra tasty and this classic is no different. It’s super simple to make with everything being thrown into one bowl and mixed together before it’s poured into the tin and ready for cooking. Once it’s done you can wait for it to cool completely before digging in, or if you simply can’t wait that long cut of a warm slice and slather it with butter just like Grandma did!
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup pureed banana
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can use vanilla essence if that’s what you have in the cupboard)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/14 cup plain flour
1. Preheat oven to 170C. Grease a loaf tin and line with baking paper.
2. Place all ingredients in a bowel and mix with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined.
3. Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from tin.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here