When it comes to snack time, it’s so tempting to reach for the biscuits or chips but it’s definitely not a good move for your waistline or your health if it’s happening too often. These energy balls are a great alternative as they’re packed with natural ingredients and fuelled to keep you going all afternoon long. You can easily play around with the recipe and add any extras you like along the way – try chopped apricots, walnuts or sesame seeds for a little crunch!
- 12 Medjool dates
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, plus 1/3 cup extra for rolling
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
1. Place dates in a medium bowl and cover with water. Stand for 1 hour. Drain and discard seeds.
2. Process dates, almond meal, shredded coconut, coconut oil, cacao powder and chia seeds until mixture comes together. Transfer to a bowl and stand for 20 minutes for chia seeds to soften.
3. Place remaining coconut in a shallow dish.
4. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Roll in coconut to coat.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here