Fritters are such an easy option for dinner any night of the week. The beauty of them is in the base ingredients of flour, eggs and milk – from there you can add almost anything you like to make your favourite flavour combinations. These pea and haloumi babies are such a tasty twist and work beautifully with a dollop of yogurt and a squeeze of lemon over the top. Serve with a simple side salad and enjoy!
- 2 cups (240g) frozen peas, thawed
- 250g haloumi, coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (you can use whatever herbs you like best though)
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Place the peas in a bowl. Use a fork to mash until coarsely crushed. Stir in the haloumi, dill and eggs. Add the flour and milk and stir until combined. Season.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Pour three 1/4-cupfuls of pea mixture around the pan, allowing room for spreading. Cook for 2 mins or until golden. Turn. Cook for a further 2 mins or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with remaining pea mixture.
To write for Starts at 60 and potentially win a $20 voucher, send your articles to our Community Editor here.