When done right, fried rice is a great meal to whip up when you can’t really be bothered going to much effort in the kitchen. You can use pretty much whatever veggies you have on hand at the time and mix it up on the protein, too. Anything goes here. The important part is using a wholegrain rice, like the brown basmati we’ve used, and keeping the oil content down to about 1 tablespoon maximum. Avoid adding any extra salt too as the soy sauce will be enough to season it. For a really fresh finish, squeeze over some lime and top with freshly chopped coriander.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 rashers bacon, rind and fat removed (or leftover Christmas ham)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 carrot, halved lengthways, sliced
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthways, sliced
- 200g button mushrooms, sliced
- 100g prawn meat, fresh or frozen (if frozen, thaw before using)
- Soy sauce, to taste
- 1 egg, fried
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, slightly thawed
- Lime, to squeeze over
1. Add rice to a saucepan with 1 cup of water and cook over a low heat for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
2. Heat oil in a wok or large frypan over a medium heat. Add onion and cooked for 1-2 minutes. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is brown and cooked through. Remove onion and bacon from pan and set aside. Add garlic, carrot, zucchini and mushrooms to pan and cook, tossing occasionally for 2-3 minutes.
3. Return onion and bacon to pan and add prawns. When prawns starts to cook through, add a splash of soy sauce. (Just use a little at this stage as you’ll add more later.)
4. Increase heat slightly and add cooked rice to pan, tossing everything together. Add soy sauce to taste and throw in the peas. Slice fried egg and toss a threw mix. Serve with a squeeze of lime and sweet chilli sauce on the side.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here