Talk about a winner! Not only is this slice full of all that lovely citrus flavour you want in a lemon slice, it’s also super simple to make. The base is lovely and soft, while the lemon topping is smooth, fresh and packed with that amazing lemon. You can store it in an air-tight container in the fridge at home or slice it up and take it to a family event for a gorgeous dessert. If you’re eating it at home, try taking it out of the fridge about 10 minutes before serving so it has a chance to soften a little, then kick back with a cuppa and dig in!
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Base: Mix together the butter, flour and sugar with a fork until crumbly. Press into an 20cm square cake tin and bake for 20 minutes. Crust will look white. Do not brown.
2. Top: Combine the eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder and lemon juice in a blender. Blend until well mixed. Pour over pre-baked crust.
Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and sprinkle with icing sugar. Let bars cool before cutting.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.