Carrot cake is one of those traditional recipes that has been bouncing from kitchen to kitchen around the country for years. Now though, it’s time to try something a little different with this recipe for the ultimate carrot cake slice that is sure to knock your socks off! The cake itself is super moist and delicious without being heavy. The chopped nuts add the perfect amount of crunch and the cream cheese frosting is next level delicious thanks to the addition of coconut cream. Give it a go!
- 1 1/3 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup coarsely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 150g butter, melted
- Whole nutmegs, for grating
For the coconut cream cheese frosting
- 250g cream cheese, slightly softened
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (available at supermarket)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease and line base and sides of a 28cm x 18cm, base measurement, slice pan with non stick baking paper.
2. Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl. Spoon into base of prepared pan. Press down firmly and level top. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and set firm. Cool in pan.
3. Meanwhile to make coconut cream cheese frosting, place all ingredients into a large bowl and beat together until well combined and smooth.
4. Spread icing over slice. Finely grate nutmeg over the top. Chill for 20 minutes or until set firm. Slice and serve.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here