This coconut cake with lemon and sour cream icing will be sure to please! The light and fresh flavours make it the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea, or dessert after a hearty meal.
You will need:
- 125g of butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cup of self-raising flour
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 large lemon
- 1 and 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 1 lemon
How to make it:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease and line a loaf pan (preferably 6cm deep, 9cm x 19cm).
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until it becomes light and fluffy. Add in the sugar bit by bit, continually beating until it is dissolved.
- Grate the rind off the lemon and half of it into the mixture along with half of the egg. Beat the mix well and add the remaining egg and continue to beat until well combined.
- Gently stir in the sifted flour, milk, and coconut with a wooden spoon. Spoon the mix into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl and add sour cream and he rind of a lemon. Stir until well combined.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before pouring the icing over it.
- Allow icing to set then serve and enjoy!