A Queensland snake catcher is lucky to be alive after she was almost strangled to death by a python. Sue Ambler from Mission Beach, south of Cairns, was trying to remove a large python from a tree when things got awry, ABC reported.
The woman was attempting to relocate a python from a tree when it landed on her and wrapped around her neck, squeezing so tight it burst her blood vessels in her eyes and caused friction burn on her face.
Ambler took to social media to warn others about the risks of handling snakes, even non-venomous types, like pythons. The post has since been removed from Facebook.
“When I grabbed the snake out of the tree it landed around my neck and before I could unwind the snake from my neck it tightened around my neck and face and before long it asphyxiated me to the point I passed out and fell to the ground,” she wrote, according to the ABC.
“If it wasn’t for the quick thinking of the people I was catching the snake for I wouldn’t be alive to tell my story. The ambulance guy said one more minute and I would have been dead so as a professional snake catcher this can even happen to us.”
Non-venomous pythons kill by wrapping around their prey and squeezing them to death. “This was a freak accident but I also want people to know that pythons can be moody and cranky and dangerous — I’m lucky to survive this,” Ambler added.
She said her incident would not stop her doing what she loved, adding: “If I got a phone call now I would go and relocate a snake in a heartbeat.”
It’s not the first time a python attack has made headlines. In January, an English man and snake lover was strangled to death by his own pet python after it wrapped itself around him and suffocated him.