Labor frontbencher Anthony Albanese has hinted at scandal within Parliament House, after revealing that he often hears rumours circulating within the building.
Speaking to Neil Mitchell on 3AW, Albo said it’s “not his job” to get to the bottom of rumours circulating within the lower house, claiming he regularly hears about things that are supposed to have happened within the building.
And, perhaps hinting at the scale of scandal, Albanese went on to say that if he did something about every rumour he heard in parliament, he’d never do his job. He told Mitchell: “Well if you did something about it you wouldn’t do your job; if every time you heard about something that might have happened in the building. That’s not my job.”
Radio presenter Mitchell quizzed the Labor rep regarding the recent allegations made by former staffers against Labor MP Emma Husar, with Albanese confirming he has known about the claims for a while, despite opposition leader Bill Shorten being adamant he was only made aware on July 18.
“Oh, for a while,” he added. “There were various rumours around the building. I can’t speak for what someone else knew and when. All I can do is say what I knew, which is that there were various rumours around about issues with staff that I had heard around the building. Parliament House is a bit like that.”
In recent weeks, stories have emerged about the alleged behaviour of Husar after it was confirmed that the MP for Lindsay, NSW, was the subject of an internal ALP investigation, being led by John Whelan.
On Wednesday Husar released a statement announcing that she would not be standing at the next election, and said that her reputation has been “completely shredded” by the allegations made against her, which include forcing staff to pick up her dog’s poo and using a taxpayer-funded car to visit her divorce lawyer.
Former deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce has also been the subject of whispering in Parliament House, after it was revealed that he had been having an affair with former staffer Vikki Campion, who he now shares son Sebastian with.
Rumours began circulating, with some spilling out into the mainstream media, months before the scandalous story officially broke in February, when a photograph of a heavily pregnant Campion was printed on the front page of The Daily Telegraph, confirming the news that Joyce was set to become a father for the fifth time.