Police have spoken to convicted paedophile Anthony Munro and named him as a person of interest in the case of the missing Beaumont children who vanished from Adelaide’s Glenelg Beach.
Police say they believe Munro was in the area at the time siblings Jane, 9, Arnna, 7, and four-year-old Grant Beaumont disappeared on January 26, 1966, reports News.com.au.
Munro was called back from Cambodia where he currently lives and was questioned by police earlier this year about the case, which has remained a mystery for 50 years.
Police say there is no evidence linking him to their disappearance, but given his history, his whereabouts sparked alarm bells.
Munro is a former scout leader and used to live in Glenelg; he now resides in Cambodia where he runs a bar and is wanted for questioning over alleged child sex offences.
Ad. Article continues below.
He pleaded guilty to 10 child sex offences in South Australia between 1962 and 1983 and in 1992 he was convicted over a 1990 indecent assault an 11-year-old boy and sentenced to seven months in prison.
The case of the Beaumont children captured the attention of the nation in the weeks and months following their disappearance and is one of Australia’s longest standing criminal investigations.
Despite numerous leads over the years police have been unable to make a major breakthrough. Initial reports said witnesses saw the children on the beach with a tall blonde-haired man and later walked along the shore with him.
The last confirmed sighting was by a postman who said he saw them laughing and holding hands as they walked along the side of the road.
The case is on-going and police are still asking anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Do you remember this case? Have you followed it over the years?