Australian boy confirmed dead following terror attack

Julian Cadman.
This image of Julian Cadman was circulated on social media while he was still missing, following the Barcelona attacks. Source: Facebook.

A 7 year old boy reported missing after the recent Barcelona terror attack has been confirmed dead by his family.

Julian Cadman, an Australian-British boy, was in Barcelona for a family wedding. He was with his mother when a van plowed through crowds killing 13 and injuring 120. Julian’s father travelled from Sydney to join his badly injured wife in Barcelona before releasing  a statement on Sunday to confirm his death. 

“Julian was a much loved and adored member of our family,” the statement, released by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, said. “As he was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother, Julian was sadly taken from us. He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces. We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts.
 
“We would like to thank all those who helped us in searching for Julian. Your kindness was incredible during a difficult time. We also acknowledge we are not the only family to be affected by the events, our prayers and thoughts are with all people affected.”
Ad. Article continues below.
 
After this incident last Thursday there was a second vehicle attack on Friday morning, resulting in five suspected jihadists being shot dead by police. Spanish police have since found the 12-strong terror cell who carried out two attacks in Spain this week had collected 120 gas canisters. They also believe the men had been planning the attacks for over six months. Police are still searching for the driver of the van but they have four in custody.
 
While this incident, like many, has been on overseas soil, there has been a focus on prevention of such incidents in Australia. 
 
Ad. Article continues below.
Australia’s Federal Government has released a national strategy for venue operators to assess their vulnerability of a variety of terrorist attacks. Aimed for crowded places such as stadiums, shopping centres, pedestrian malls and major events, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said it would provide a uniform approach for venue owners and business to work with police and different levels of government, while these places continue to be an attractive target for terrorists.
 
The strategy includes layered security which includes CCTV, X-ray screening and physical barriers, like bollards, to prevent vehicle attacks like in Barcelona. 

What do you think needs to be done to prevent incidents like this happening again?