Toddler who was allegedly left on daycare bus released from ICU

May 09, 2022
Navaeh was moved to a regular ward on Saturday, May 7, and is in a stable condition. Source: Twitter/@R_DAlessandro9


Nevaeh Austin, the toddler who was allegedly left on a daycare bus in the heat has left hospital on Monday, May 9.

Six days after the incident which saw the three year old rushed to hospital in a critical condition, the toddler has been discharged from the Queensland Children’s Hospital in Brisbane and is flying home with her parents.

Police are currently investigating the incident, no charges have yet been laid.



The three year old Queensland girl who was allegedly left on a daycare mini bus in the heat has been moved from the intensive care unit and is “breathing on her own”.

As reported by ABC News, Nevaeh was moved to a regular ward on Saturday, May 7, and is in a stable condition. Nevaeh’s father, Shane Austin, recently released a photo of his daughter claiming she is “doing well”.

Police allege the young girl was discovered alone on the bus just before 3pm on Wednesday, May 4. She was unconscious at the time of her discovery before being rushed to Rockhampton Hospital in a critical condition.

Detective Inspector Darrin Shadlow revealed to the ABC on Thursday, May 5 that the young girl was discovered “hours later when staff went to use the bus for the after-school pick up at about 3pm”.

“It would appear that Nevaeh was the only child on the bus at the time,” Shadlow said.

“Obviously, when they returned to the centre, the driver and one other person who were in the bus at the time, have forgotten that she was there.

“It would appear there were some breaches of procedures … and a young child is fighting for their life.”

No charges have been laid in regards to the incident and investigations remain ongoing.

Nevaeh’s grandmother, Pamela Parker, recently told 9 News that she had spoken to her granddaughter, revealing that the toddler is “doing all right”.

“I spoke to Nevaeh, she’s good,” she said.

“I’m thankful my granddaughter has pulled through but what this must be doing to her, I can’t even imagine.

“She’s tired, but she’s breathing on her own.

“She’s her happy self.”

Prime Minister Scott Morrison called the incident “heartbreaking”.

“I just can’t even imagine the terrible anxiety that they’re (Nevaeh’s family) feeling at this time,” he told TODAY.

“To all of those who are taking care of the young child right now in hospital, my thoughts are with them as well.”

According to the Courier Mail, Michelle O’Rouke, owner of Le Smileys Early Learning Centre in Gracemere informed parents that the centre would cease all forms of transportation.

“I apologise to families for the inconvenience however, Le Smileys Early Learning Centre will no longer be providing transportation in any form, from this point forward,” she said.


Share via emailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Pinterest

Leave your comment

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up