Swedish royals test positive for Covid-19

Nov 27, 2020
Testing will be rolled out on Sweden's royal family. (Pictured L-R Christopher O'Neill, Princess Victoria, Princess Madeline, Prince Oscar, Princess Estelle, Prince Daniel, Princess Sofia and Prince Carl Philip. Source: Getty.

Sweden’s Prince Carl Philip and wife Princess Sofia have tested positive to the coronavirus. The Swedish royal court confirmed the news in a statement on Thursday, Hello! magazine reports.

According to the statement, the royal couple are experiencing mild symptoms and “feel well under the circumstances”. Carl, 41, and Sofia, 35, are isolating at home with their children, Prince Alexander, four, and Prince Gabriel, three.

Other members of the Swedish royal family, including King Carl XVI Gustaf, Queen Silvia, the prince’s older sister Crown Princess Victoria and her husband Prince Daniel, will be tested as well.

Many royals have contracted the coronavirus since the beginning of the pandemic, including Monaco’s Prince Albert and Britain’s Prince Charles. And earlier this month, it was revealed that Charles’ son Prince William reportedly tested positive for coronavirus back in April this year but kept it a secret as not to alarm the nation.

According to The Sun a source revealed that Prince William was “struggling to breathe” at one point but still remained tight-lipped on his diagnosis.

He reportedly contracted Covid-19 just days after both his own father Prince Charles and the UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson had publicly announced they had the virus. William, 38, is said to have told an observer at an event that “there were important things going on” and he didn’t want to worry anyone.

Despite the diagnosis, the second in line to the throne continued to prioritise the nation by completing 14 telephone and video call engagements and taking just a seven day break from royal duties over the month of April when he tested positive. He was then treated by palace doctors and isolated at his family home, Anmer Hall in Norfolk.

A source told The Sun that Prince William was hit pretty hard with the virus, saying it really “knocked him for six”. The source added that at one point he was struggling to breathe, which caused panic throughout his inner circle.

“After seeing medics and testing positive – which was obviously quite a shock given how fit and healthy he is – William was determined it should be business as usual though,” a source told The Sun. “He was determined to fulfil his engagements.”

Prince Charles tested positive for the virus at the end of March, while the Duchess of Cornwall was cleared for Covid-19 at the same time. The couple, who are both in their 70s, were self-isolating in Scotland together, with Prince Charles still completing his royal duties despite battling the virus.

Become a Starts at 60 Member now.

Starts at 60 Members get a whole lot more value here. It’s free to join and you’ll get:

  • Exclusive emailers with the latest news and leading insights from retirement experts
  • Free online Retirement Masterclasses and other events
  • Amazing deals on tours, cruises, and community holidays from Travel at 60
  • And *new* an ecommerce marketplace just for over 60s with exclusive member offers

What are you waiting for?

email

Do you know anyone who has tested positive?

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up