Milestone moments! Harry and Meghan reveal Archie’s firsts during lockdown

Oct 12, 2020
Archie turned one in May. Source: Getty.

Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, have been able to spend precious time with their son Archie since relinquishing their positions as senior members of the royal family and relocating to Los Angeles, particularly since the outbreak of Covid-19 which has limited their ability to travel for work.

But, as the world continues to tackle the virus, the Sussexes have embraced this extra time at home as it has allowed them to be there for every major milestone of their one-year-old son’s life, from his very first steps to his first fall.

The couple opened up on their family life during a video call with activist Malala Yousafzai to mark International Day Of The Girl on Sunday. Now 23, Malala made headlines around the world when, aged just 15, she was shot in the head by a Taliban gunman whilst campaigning for girls to be educated in her home country of Pakistan.

“We were both there for his first steps, his first run, his first fall, his first everything,” Prince Harry said.

Meghan then added: “It’s just fantastic because I think in so many ways we were fortunate to be able to have this time to watch him grow and in the absence of Covid we would be travelling and working more externally and we would miss a lot of those moment.

“So I think it’s been a lot of really good family time.”

Harry and Meghan have barely been out of the spotlight since settling down in the duchess’ native Los Angeles earlier this year. However the royal couple ruffled some feathers in recent weeks after they made comments regarding the upcoming US presidential election.

Last month, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex called on American voters to “reject hate speech and misinformation” in a video shared to social media. Meghan called on fellow Americans to vote in the “most important election of our lifetime”, before Harry, who’s still a UK citizen, chimed in, saying: “This election I am not able to vote in the US. But many of you may not know that I haven’t been able to vote in the UK my entire life. As we approach this November, it’s vital that we reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity.”

Buckingham Palace responded to the video, with a spokesperson telling The Times: “We would not comment. The Duke is not a working member of the Royal Family and any comments he makes are made in a personal capacity.” But one palace insider reportedly said Harry had “crossed the line”.

Meanwhile, a Republican congressman has accused the duo of meddling in the upcoming election and urged the British government to rescind their royal titles.

“I respectfully request the British Government ensure the Duke and Duchess of Sussex no longer attempt to interfere in our election or be stripped of all titles, styles, and privileges which they currently retain,” Rep. Jason Smith wrote in a letter to Karen Pierce, the British ambassador to the United States, reports Business Insider.

Sue's sassy!

She became a member of Starts at 60 and got access to amazing travel deals, free masterclasses, exclusive news and features and hot member discounts!

And she entered to win a $10K trip for four people to Norfolk Island in 2021. Join now, it’s free to become a member. Members get more.

email

Do you remember your children or grandchildren's milestones?

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up