Prince Harry launches new legal battle against newspaper

Feb 24, 2022
A spokesperson for the Duke has confirmed that the Duke has filed a complaint against ANL. Source: Getty

Prince Harry has filed a High Court libel action suit against the publisher of the DailyMail newspaper.

Court filings state the Duke of Sussex filed a claim against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) on Wednesday, February 23.

It is still unclear which of the publishers’ titles – which include The Mail on Sunday and MailOnline– the claim is for, nor is there any information on which article is complained of.

Harry, 37, is bringing privacy claims against News Group Newspapers, which publishes tabloid newspaper The Sun, and Mirror Group Newspaper, which publishes The Mirror, for alleged phone hacking and unlawfully gathering information.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have also sued photographers after images were released of their son Archie playing in the backyard of their former home in Los Angeles.

“Every individual and family member in California is guaranteed by law the right to privacy in their home. No drones, helicopters or telephoto lenses can take away that right,” their attorney, Michael Kump of Kinsella Weitzman Iser Kump & Aldisert LLP, said in a statement.

As per 7News, The Duke is also bringing a High Court challenge against  Home Office’s decision over his security arrangement for when he is in the UK.

According to the publication, Harry wants to bring his children, Archie, two and eight-month-old Lilibet, to visit his hometown but he and his family are “unable to return to his home” because it is too dangerous.

This follows an incident in London in the summer of 2021 when his security was compromised when his car was chased down by the paparazzi after leaving a charity event.

The family personally fund their private protection in the US, however, he and Meghan lost their taxpayer-funded police protection in the UK in the aftermath of them stepping down as senior royals in March 2020.

Legal representatives for Harry have previously said the Duke wants to fund security himself, but Robert Palmer QC, for the Home Office, told the court that Harry’s offer of private funding was “irrelevant.”

The new claim comes after his wife, Meghan Markle, was awarded just $1.80 (£1) along with an undisclosed sum which she donated to charity, after winning her case against ANL.

Markle had sued the publisher for damages and invasion of her privacy for publishing a private letter she had sent to her father, Thomas Markle.

Leave your comment

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up