Ever since they tied the knot in May 2018, there has been no shortage of rumours and reports surrounding the lives of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, from claims about the cost of their recent home makeover to Meghan’s suggested birth plans.
The most recent rumours to surface about the couple, published in the British press, claim that the expectant parents will move to Africa on a Commonwealth posting that could last up to three years, following the birth of Baby Sussex.
An article published by The Sunday Times alleged that plans are already being discussed to find a way of “harnessing Harry and Meghan’s global appeal”, as well as giving them a break from “recent tensions” within the royal family.
One such suggestion, according to the newspaper, was that Harry could be appointed as governor-general or deputy governor-general of Australia or Canada, before it was scrapped as “impractical”. Another idea was to create roles for the couple to act as ‘trade envoys’ in the aftermath of Brexit, when the UK finally leaves the European Union in October.
However, perhaps due to the couple’s existing links with the continent, sources told the news outlet that the most “likely” idea is the offer of a “major international job … in Africa, combining work on behalf of the Commonwealth with charity work”.
Now though, as the duke and duchess prepare to welcome their first child in the coming days, the palace has officially responded to the rumours surrounding their future.
A palace spokesperson told HELLO!: “Any future plans for the Duke and Duchess are speculative at this stage.”
The source added: “No decisions have been taken about future roles. The Duke will continue to fulfil his role as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador.”
Happy 93rd birthday to Her Majesty The Queen!
Our video includes a photograph from each decade of The Queen’s life, from an image of her as a baby in 1926, to her visit to King’s College last month. #QueensBirthday #HappyBirthdayHerMajesty pic.twitter.com/E2J8c5rziD
— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) April 21, 2019
While the Duchess of Sussex’s due date has never been confirmed, it is thought she is due at the end of April or beginning of May. Therefore it is no surprise that the heavily pregnant royal was absent from Sunday’s church service at St George’s Chapel.
No doubt preferring to rest up at home, Meghan did not join her husband at the annual Easter Sunday service in Windsor, which also coincided with Her Majesty the Queen’s 93rd birthday.
The monarch was joined by many of her children and grandchildren for the religious ceremony – including the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the Duke of York, Princess Beatrice and the Earl and Countess of Wessex.
She became a member of Starts at 60 and got access to amazing travel deals, free masterclasses, exclusive news and features and hot member discounts!
And she entered to win a $10K trip for four people to Norfolk Island in 2021. Join now, it’s free to become a member. Members get more.