Victoria’s deadliest day: State records 725 cases, 15 deaths in 24 hours

Aug 05, 2020
Premier Daniel Andrews confirmed the state’s daily case increase on Wednesday afternoon. Source: Getty.

Victoria has recorded a total of 725 Covid-19 cases in the past 24 hours, taking the total number of cases in the state to 13,035 since January 1. The current number of active cases is 7,227.

Premier Daniel Andrews confirmed the state’s daily case increase this afternoon, which is the highest daily increase for any state or territory so far. The state’s previous highest-ever daily figure was recorded on July 30, when the state recorded a total of 723 cases.

Andrews also confirmed a further 15 deaths as a result of the virus, with 12 of those believed to be related to aged care outbreaks in the state. This marks the state’s deadliest day of the pandemic so far, and the state’s death toll now sits at 162. The premier confirmed that the deaths include one male in his 30s, three males and one female in their 70s, three males and three females in their 80s, and three males and one female in their 90s.

“I’m very sorry to have to report that the total number of fatalities due to this global pandemic is now 162 Victorians, that is 15 more since our last update,” the premier said.

“Of those 15 cases, 12 can be linked to aged care. If we can provide further information to you, then, of course, we will subject to the privacy and obviously prioritising the grief and loss that those families will be experiencing.

“Can I send my heartfelt condolences and sympathies to each of those families. This will be a terrible time and any and all support we can provide to you we will and we are with you in this very difficult time.”

The premier also announced that elective surgery other than for category one patients and the most urgent of category two patients will be put on hold until further notice.

“We can’t have a situation where we are making the sickest patients wait longer because we are treating wholly worthy and important conditions, but not necessarily time-critical conditions,” he said. “We can’t put those ahead of people who need that urgent care.”

It comes after Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the state will be closing its borders to New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory from this Saturday.

From 1am this Saturday, you can not enter Queensland if you are from NSW or the ACT. Returning Queenslanders will also have to pay for their own 14-day mandatory hotel quarantine after the deadline

Sue's sassy!

She became a member of Starts at 60 and got access to amazing travel deals, free masterclasses, exclusive news and features and hot member discounts!

And she entered to win a $10K trip for four people to Norfolk Island in 2021. Join now, it’s free to become a member. Members get more.

email

Have you been following this story?

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up