The President of the United States has been taken to hospital, one day after confirming he had tested positive to Covid-19. First Lady Melania Trump has also contracted the virus.
The 74-year-old leader is being flown from the White House, where the couple had intended to complete their quarantine, to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, reports USA Today. He is expected to stay there for several days.
Trump also shared a video of himself on social media before boarding the Marine One helicopter and heading to hospital. “I think I’m doing very well”, he said, as he thanked people for their support.
“Out of an abundance of caution, and at the recommendation of his physician and medical experts, the President will be working from the presidential offices at Walter Reed for the next few days,” a statement from the White House said. “President Trump appreciates the outpouring of support for both he and the First Lady.”
It comes just hours after President Trump confirmed that he and his wife of 15 years had contracted the virus, via Twitter. “Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!” he wrote on Friday afternoon (AEST).
His tweet came after it was revealed that the First Couple had entered quarantine at the White House after aide Hope Hicks tested positive to the virus. Hicks travelled to and from Colorado with the President earlier this week, where he took part in the first of three presidential debates.
It was also confirmed on Friday that Vice President Mike Pence, who attended a coronavirus task force briefing alongside the POTUS on Monday, had tested negative to Covid-19. In a statement released by the White House, his doctor said: “Earlier this morning under my care, Vice President Mike Pence tested negative for Covid-19.
“Under the guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Vice President is not considered a close contact with any individuals who have tested positive for COVID, including President Donald J. Trump. Vice President Mike Pence does not need to quarantine.
“Vice President Mike Pence remains in good health and is free to go about his normal activities.”