John Howard gives update from hospital bed after emergency operation

Aug 26, 2020
John Howard was rushed to hospital on Monday. Source: Getty.

Former Prime Minister John Howard has given an update from his hospital bed two days after undergoing an emergency operation for appendicitis. The former pollie, 81, reportedly suffered a “sudden attack of appendicitis” and visited his GP before being rushed to Sydney’s Royal North Shore Private hospital in an ambulance.

Speaking to 7News on Wednesday, Howard revealed the operation “went well”.

“I am very touched by everyone wanting to know how I am,” he said. “I am fine. I need to take it easy and rest up.”

The news of Howard’s hospitalisation was reported earlier on Monday in which the political editor at Sky News said he had spoken to the former prime minister and there was no cause for alarm with the Howard reportedly saying he was “fine”.

The news was confirmed by 2GB’s breakfast host Ben Fordham who sent a tweet out on Monday night confirming the incident. The message that was posted on Fordham’s twitter said he is now “recovering well” from his surgery and that he thanked everyone for their good wishes with particular thanks going to the staff at Royal North Shore Private for their excellent care.

At the time, people took to social media to share their well-wishes, with one writing: “Very happy to hear that you are ok, my dear John. You were a great and respectful leader of all time, we missed you I wish you come back again, I hope you get well soon and all the best to you and family. Take care”.

This isn’t the first time Howard’s health has created cause for concern as he was also rushed to hospital back in 2015 after suffering a heart scare. The former leader was playing golf at the time when he began to experience tightness in his chest and was rushed to the emergency department to have two stents inserted.

Howard’s stint as prime minister ran from 1996 to 2007 and he currently stands as Australia’s oldest living former prime minister. He also holds the title as the second-longest serving leader after Sir Robert Menzies.

Sue's sassy!

She became a member of Starts at 60 and got access to amazing travel deals, free masterclasses, exclusive news and features and hot member discounts!

And she entered to win a $10K trip for four people to Norfolk Island in 2021. Join now, it’s free to become a member. Members get more.

email

Have you been following this story?

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up