Outgoing New South Wales Police Commissioner Mick Fuller has fired a final shot at former William Tyrrell lead investigator Gary Jubelin, following an ongoing war of words between the two law enforcement figures.
Jubelin previously hit out at Fuller, following the Commissioner’s claims the new investigative team took on “a bit of a mess” from the previous investigation and that “some time was wasted following certain lines of inquiry”.
The Police Commissioner has confirmed there’s “one person in particular” detectives are focusing on.https://t.co/sFuTJYz5Rv
— 2GB 873 (@2GB873) November 15, 2021
Jubilen was quick to defend the way the case was handled on 2GB Radio, on November 18, while addressing the Commissioner’s criticism and claiming Fuller is “ultimately responsible” for the investigation in his role as Commissioner.
“I sit here very confidently and that’s why I take issue when I hear comments that the investigation was in a shambles when it was taken over,” he said.
“I rely on my experience along with my gut but I always defer to the facts.”
— 2GB 873 (@2GB873) November 17, 2021
While reflecting on his law enforcement career and his role as Commissioner during an interview with The Australian, Fuller called the recent claims from Jubelin “ridiculous”.
“To suggest that a commissioner is going to run the investigative strategies for the case is a bit ridiculous,” he said.
“And no commissioner, no superintendent, is going to sign off on the illegal activity he [Jubelin] was ultimately convicted of.”
Gary Jubelin became a well-known public figure when he led the investigation into William Tyrrell’s disappearance for more than four years from early 2015 until 2019. He was stood down as the head of Strike Force Rosann not long before he left the NSW Police force.
Investigations into William Tyrrell’s 2014 disappearance were renewed recently after new evidence came to light.