‘Investigations are ongoing’: Neighbour dispute leads to alleged mass shooting, gunman in custody

Aug 05, 2022
Police have a person in custody following a triple-fatal shooting. Source: Getty

Police have taken a person into custody after an alleged mass shooting in rural Queensland left three people dead and one wounded on Thursday, August 4.

It is alleged the shooting took place in Bogie, between Mackay and Townsville with police saying the parties involved are neighbours.

The three deceased have been identified as married couple Mervyn and Maree Schwarz and her son Graham Tighe. Ross Tighe, brother of Tighe and son of Maree, is in serious but stable condition after being airlifted to Mackay Base Hospital for treatment of a wounded abdomen.

Queensland Police Acting Superintendent Tom Armitt said “the person nominated as the alleged gunman is with us here in custody”.

“What we do know is that all parties are neighbours, some conversation has occurred between the parties and resulted in a meeting up at the parties’ boundary line earlier that morning when the incident occurred,” Armitt said.

Police are yet to uncover a motive stating “investigations are ongoing” while five people are assisting with their inquiries.

“We haven’t pressed any charges at this point in time while our investigations are ongoing,” Armitt told Sunrise

Armitt said the surviving member “was able to speak to us overnight and provide us details of what occurred at the incident yesterday morning”.

“And detectives will be speaking to him again this morning,” he said.

Police had originally made an emergency declaration for the area, asking people to steer clear before it was rescinded on Friday morning.

“Police were notified of a reports multiple people had been shot in the area around 9am,” the Police released in a statement.

“A man was located soon after in a vehicle at Flagstone with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. He was transported to hospital in a critical condition.

“After speaking with the man, officers made an emergency declaration under the Public Safety Preservation Act at 11.30am at a property of Sutherland Road.

“Upon canvassing the area, police deemed the location safe and a further exclusion zone was established at a property along Shannonvale Road where the shooting is believed to have occurred.

“Three people have since been located at the property deceased with gunshot wounds.

“Investigations remain ongoing into the circumstances leading up to the shooting.

“Police are currently conducting emergency operations in the area and requesting members of the public and aircraft to not attend the declared location.”

More to come as the story develops.

Leave your comment

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up