It’s hard to resist scones of all flavours, from the sweet to the savoury, but these cheesy versions are definitely one of the best for curbing hunger and enjoying alongside a hot cuppa!
With just a few easy steps and only seven ingredients, these cheese scones are ready to be eaten in just 35 minutes. Simply serve them up with a scraping of butter and any other spread you might be feeling, and enjoy!
- 225g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- pinch of salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 55g chilled butter, cut into cubes
- 120g mature cheddar, grated
- 90-100ml milk, plus 1 tbsp for glazing
- Heat oven to 200C with large baking tray inside. Sift flour, salt, cayenne pepper and baking powder into bowl, then sift again to make sure ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add butter to bowl and combine with your fingertips to make breadcrumbs. Sprinkle 100g of the cheese into breadcrumb mixture and rub together until evenly distributed. Try not to mix too much to avoid melting the butter.
- Make well in centre of mixture and pour in enough milk to give fairly soft but firm dough. Do not pour in all the milk at once as you may not need it all to get the right consistency.
- Lightly flour surface and roll out dough to approximately 2cm thick. Cut out the scones with a medium cutter, then put on a sheet of baking paper, glaze with a little milk and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Slide onto hot oven tray.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve warm or at room temperature.