If you’re looking for a savoury snack to enjoy throughout the day that isn’t too overwhelming, try these bite-sized parmesan and basil muffins! They have all the flavour and excitement of a normal savoury muffin, while being just enough to curb your hunger without filling you up too much.
Whip these up when you have a spare moment and either enjoy them fresh out of the oven or pop them into an airtight container and freeze them to be enjoyed at a later date! Either way, you won’t be able to stop making these tasty treats once you try them!
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup extra light olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 30 small basil leaves, extra
- Preheat oven to 200C. Lightly grease a 12 x 1 1/2-tablespoon (30ml) capacity mini muffin pan.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in sugar, basil, parmesan and cheddar. Whisk milk, oil and eggs together in a jug. Add to dry ingredients. Use a large metal spoon to stir until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into muffin holes to almost fill them. Press a basil leaf into top of each muffin. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes in pan before turning onto a wire rack. Repeat with remaining muffin mixture and basil leaves. Serve warm or at room temperature.