Forget those pre-packaged breakfast bars! Whip up a batch of these breakfast blondies instead. I’ve made them gluten-free by using nut butter and flaxseed meal. They’re also grain-free, but packed full of protein.
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, plus additional for pan
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts, but hazelnuts and/or pecans are also good)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 20cm x 20cm baking dish with a sheet of baking paper, leaving an overhang on two sides. Grease baking paper with butter.
- Cook nuts and 6 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium heat, swirling pan often, until butter foams and then browns, 5–6 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Set nuts aside.
- Add almond butter, maple syrup, flaxseed, vanilla, salt, and baking powder to hot brown butter and whisk until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, whisking to incorporate after each addition. Vigorously whisk batter until glossy and smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in all but about 3 tablespoons reserved nuts. Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread in an even layer. Top with remaining nuts.
- Bake blondies until top is puffed and lightly browned and a tester inserted into the centre comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Using overhanging baking paper, remove blondies from pan. Cut into squares.