As you return from holidays, you might be looking to cut down your food budget slightly and that’s where these crispy vegetarian fritters come in. Not only are they super cheap to whip up but they also taste great – without the need for too much fuss in the kitchen. Enjoy!
- 420g can corn kernels, drained, rinsed
- 4g pkt lightly dried chives
- 200g haloumi cheese, grated
- 200g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 3/4 cup milk
- Rice bran oil, for shallow frying
- Sea salt, to serve
- Chopped tomato, to serve
- Chopped avocado, to serve
- Combine corn, chives, half the haloumi, half the cheddar, flour and seasoning in a bowl. Add milk and stir to combine. Combine remaining cheese together in a separate bowl.
- Add enough oil to come 1cm up the side of a large frying pan and place over a medium-high heat. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into the pan and cook for 2 minutes or until golden underneath.
- Sprinkle a little of the cheese mixture on each fritter, turn and cook for a further 2 minutes or until cooked through and golden. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter and cheese.
- Sprinkle fritters with sea salt and serve with tomato and avocado.