This delicious low-carb recipe was provided to Starts at 60 from CSIRO and has been pulled directly from their new book that focusses on maintaining a low-carb diabetes diet and lifestyle. With just a handful of ingredients and fifteen minutes of preparation and cooking time in the kitchen, this mouthwatering dish is definitely not one to miss!
Aside from the delicious flavour and how easy it is to whip up in no time at all, the absolute best part about this tasty meal is its versatility! You can serve this up for breakfast, lunch or dinner as no matter the time of day – you’ll be in for a treat!
- 4 x 55 g eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 80 g avocado
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 x 35 g wholemeal pita breads, each halved, then split slightly to open pockets
- 220 g cottage cheese
- 150 g baby rocket leaves
- Whisk together the eggs until well combined. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2–3 minutes or until set to a firm scramble, but don’t let it overcook until completely dry.
- Meanwhile, mash together the avocado and lemon juice and season with freshly ground black pepper. Spread the avocado mixture evenly inside one half of each pita pocket. Fill each pita pocket with the cottage cheese and some baby rocket leaves.
- Add the egg scramble mixture to the pita pockets and serve warm with the remaining rocket leaves.