This lighter alternative to the original, beloved Italian dish is perfect for those evenings when you’re in the mood to try something new and exciting. While the process is not the easiest, the incredible flavour at the end will make it all worth it!
Not only does this dish taste amazing but it’s also completely gluten-free for those looking to cut down on their intake. If you are making this for someone with an intolerance or allergy to gluten however, make sure you are careful with choosing the right pasta sauce as most aren’t completely gluten-free. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 500g chicken mince
- 200g punnet button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch English spinach, trimmed, rinsed, dried, chopped
- 250g packet cream cheese, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 125ml (1/2 cup) tomato pasta sauce
- 100g (1 cup) coarsely grated mozzarella
- 1.1kg cauliflower, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 40g (1/2 cup) finely grated parmesan
- 2 eggs
- For cauliflower sheets, add half the cauliflower to food processor. Process until finely chopped. Transfer to microwave-safe bowl. Repeat with remaining half. Cover and microwave on high, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minute or until very tender. Drain through fine sieve, pressing down with wooden spoon to remove any excess liquid. Return to bowl. Add parmesan and egg. Season. Stir well to combine.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Divide cauliflower mixture between prepared trays. Use fingertips to gently press each batch of cauliflower mixture to rectangles, measuring around 22 x 30cm. Cook cauliflower sheets for 15-20 minutes or until mixture has dried out. Set aside to cool. Cut into 6 x 10cm-wide lasagne sheets.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add leek. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes or until soft. Increase heat to high. Add chicken, break up with a wooden spoon while cooking, for 5 minutes or until cooked. Add mushrooms, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are golden. Add spinach. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Add cream cheese. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until cheese has melted. Add tarragon and stir. Season. Set aside.
- Lightly grease square 19cm (base) 24cm (top) baking dish. Lightly brush base with half tomato pasta sauce. Place 2 pieces of lasagne over pasta sauce. Top with half of chicken mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella. Repeat with another layer of cauliflower and remaining chicken mixture. Top with remaining lasagne. Finish with remaining pasta sauce and remaining mozzarella. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Serve.