You won’t have to feel guilty about enjoying these delicious sweet snacks thanks to a few simple yet smart ingredient swaps that not only taste amazing but are also better for you! By using less refined sugar, spelt flour and low-fat Greek yoghurt, these unique bite-sized treats will instantly become a favourite in your household.
These are perfect for making in bulk to pop in your bag for an easy and refreshing snack on the go as they aren’t sickly sweet but can still satisfy any sweet cravings you might have in between meals. Don’t forget to serve these up with a dollop of Greek yoghurt on the side to add extra flavour to the mix. Enjoy!
- 60ml (1/4 cup) solid coconut oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 150g (1 cup) white spelt flour, sifted
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, finely grated
- 150ml low-fat Greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Low-fat Greek yoghurt, extra, to serve
- 60ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease 6 x 125ml moulds. Line base with baking paper. With electric beaters, beat oil and sugar together in bowl until pale and creamy. Add 2 tbs of flour. Beat until combined. Add yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in baking powder, bicarb, lemon rind and half the remaining flour. Stir in half the yoghurt and half the lemon juice. Repeat with remaining flour, yoghurt and lemon juice, stirring until a stiff batter forms.
- Use clean electric beaters to beat egg whites in clean dry bowl until soft peaks form. Fold half egg white mixture into batter. Fold in remaining egg whites.
- Spoon into prepared moulds. Place on baking tray. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool in moulds for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack set over baking tray. Use skewer to poke 3 holes in each cake.
- Meanwhile, for lemon syrup, combine juice and sugar in saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, without stirring, for 2 minutes. Add lemon zest. Simmer for a further 1 minute or until thick.
- Pour half the syrup over warm cakes. Set aside to cool completely. Drizzle remaining syrup over the top. Serve with a spoonful of yoghurt.