This wholesome dish is absolutely ideal for getting all of your day’s worth of veggies done in just one sitting. With a handful of quick, easy and cheap ingredients, this meal is bound to be a treat for both the tastebuds and the budget.
Not only is this super good for you but it’s also incredibly flexible with ingredients. This means if you have some extra veggies that you’re looking to get rid of, just throw them into the dish as the overall flavour is likely to stay just as tasty as before!
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable liquid stock
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 medium (about 660g) red capsicums, deseeded, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 medium (about 440g) green capsicums, deseeded, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 medium (about 700g) eggplant, cut into 3cm pieces
- 3 400g cans Italian whole peeled tomatoes
- 70g (1/4 cup) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 4 (about 320g) zucchini, quartered, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add onions and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the onions soften slightly.
- Add capsicums and eggplant, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Cover and cook over low heat for 40 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini. Cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Remove from heat. Stir in basil. Taste and season with salt and pepper.