Fritters are one of those versatile dishes that can be served up at any time of the day and still fit the occasion perfectly. And these delicious bacon and zucchini versions definitely deserve to be at the top of your list to try this week!
Not only is the flavour to-die-for but they’re incredibly simple to whip up. Try serving with a garden salad for dinner, or by themselves for a lighter snack. Enjoy!
- 8 shortcut bacon rashers
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra, for shallow-frying
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large (250g) zucchini, grated
- 200g orange sweet potato, peeled, grated
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese block (500g)
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Mixed salad, to serve
- Plain Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
- Finely chop half the bacon. Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Cook chopped bacon, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until just starting to turn golden. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until onion softens. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Combine zucchini, sweet potato and cheese in a large bowl. Add cooled bacon mixture and flour. Mix well. Add milk and eggs. Season well with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Add enough extra oil to a large frying pan to reach 5mm up side of pan. Heat over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into pan, spreading to form a round. Repeat 3 more times to make 4 fritters. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel. Cover loosely to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, adding extra oil to pan when necessary.
- Meanwhile, reheat the small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add remaining bacon to pan. Cook, turning for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel. Serve fritters with bacon, salad and yoghurt.