If you’re on the hunt for a mouthwateringly unique cake to serve up to family and friends, then you’ve struck gold with this passionfruit and yoghurt mousse cake! Not only is it incredibly tasty, but it’s also super easy to whip up ahead of time.
Not to mention, this light and airy dessert treat is perfect for allowing you to enjoy a sweet treat without feeling sick afterwards! Plus, you can devour this all in one go or keep it fresh in the fridge for several days afterwards. Enjoy!
- 200g butternut snap biscuits
- 75g butter, melted
- 12 passionfruit, halved
- 600ml pure cream
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 tbsp gelatine powder
- 2 1/2 cups Greek style natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Passionfruit Sauce
- 3 passionfruit, halved
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm (base) round springform pan. Line side with baking paper. Place biscuits in a food processor. Process until fine crumbs form. Add butter. Process until mixture is just combined. Press mixture over base of prepared pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until required.
- Strain passionfruit pulp over a jug (you’ll need 1/2 cup of juice). Discard solids. Combine 1/2 the cream and 1/2 the sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Stir in passionfruit juice.
- Place 1/2 the boiling water in a small heatproof jug. Sprinkle with 1/2 the gelatine. Whisk with a fork until dissolved. Stir gelatine mixture into cream mixture. Set aside for 20 minutes to cool. Whisk in 1 cup of yoghurt. Pour mixture over base in prepared pan. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
- Meanwhile, repeat steps 2 and 3, replacing passionfruit juice with vanilla bean paste and using remaining yoghurt. Stand yoghurt mixture at room temperature for 1 hour 30 minutes or until cool. Once passionfruit layer is set, gently pour over vanilla yoghurt mixture. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight, or until set.
- Meanwhile, make Passionfruit Sauce: Spoon passionfruit pulp (you’ll need 1/3 cup pulp) into a small saucepan. Add sugar and 1/2 cup water. Stir over low heat for 3 minutes until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium. Bring to the boil. Boil for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half. Remove from heat. Cool completely.
- Remove cake from pan and place on a serving plate. Drizzle with passionfruit sauce. Serve.