These coconut macaroons are soft and chewy on the inside while being crisp and golden on the outside — perfect!
They also keep well for days, which puts them high on the list of treats to bake ahead or give away.
• 2 eggs, separated yolk and whites
• 3/4 cup caster sugar
• 3 cups desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in caster sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating until dissolved between each addition. Beat in egg yolks then fold in coconut until well combined.
- Spoon tablespoons of coconut mixture, about 5cm apart, onto baking-paper lined oven trays.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the macaroons are golden brown. Cool on a tray before storing in an airtight container.