This delicious Italian-style cannelloni dish is the perfect creamy and cheesy meal that absolutely everyone will want to get their hands on! And with just a handful of simple ingredients, you won’t be breaking the bank to achieve the mouthwatering end product.
While this dish definitely tastes good fresh from the oven, it’s also perfect for popping in the freezer to enjoy at a later date! This way it’s perfect for feeding everyone from a hungry crowd to just one person. Enjoy!
- 20g butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 800g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 1/2 x 500g packet (8 sheets) fresh lasagne sheets
- 1 1/2 cups tomato passata
- 200g fresh reduced-fat ricotta
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven 200C/180C fan-forced. Lightly grease a 4cm deep, 20cm x 26cm (base) baking dish.
- Heat butter and oil in a large, heavy- based frying pan over medium heat. Add leek and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until leek has softened. Add chicken. Cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually add milk and chicken stock, stirring until mixture is smooth. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Set aside.
- Place 1 lasagne sheet on a flat surface. Spoon 1⁄4 cup chicken and leek mixture along 1 long edge. Roll up to enclose filling. Place, seam-side down, in prepared dish. Repeat with remaining chicken and leek mixture and lasagne sheets. Spoon tomato passata over cannelloni.
- Sprinkle with ricotta and parmesan. Cover with baking paper, then foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove paper and foil. Bake for a further 20 minutes or until golden and pasta is tender. Serve sprinkled with parsley.