This gluten-free cake is an impressive dessert for special occasions and easy enough to make in an hour. With only three ingredients, this flourless chocolate cake will be your new favourite!
I was surprised at how decadent and fudgy this chocolate was. You could eat it on its own, because it’s delicious, or you could do something simple like drizzle some melted chocolate on top or dust the top with icing sugar. You could also serve it with a side of berries, or whipped cream or even a bit of ice cream, such is the versatility of the cake.
- 8 large eggs
- 500g chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 165C.
- Line a 23cm springform pan with baking paper. Grease the entire pan with non-stick spray.
- In a bowl using a handheld mixer, or the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, mix eggs on High for 6-7 minutes, or until the volume has increased substantially and they are light and fluffy.
- Add chocolate and butter together in a microwave-safe bowl. Put the bowl in the microwave and heat on high for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until everything is smooth and melted.
- Using a spatula, fold half the whipped egg mixture into the melted chocolate until thoroughly combined. Fold in the remaining egg mixture, again using the spatula, until the mixture is consistent and smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top out with your spatula.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cake doesn’t jiggle in the centre when given a gentle shake. Remove pan from oven and allow it to cool completely (approximately 1 hour), then wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for up to 4 hours.
- To serve, run a knife along the outer edge of the cake and release the cake from the pan. Invert the cake on to a plate to remove the bottom layer of baking paper, then flip over to prepare.