These oven-baked cheese and chilli meatballs are one of those meals you can whip up when you get to the end of a productive day and wonder what on earth you’re going to do for dinner. It’s no fuss and binds really nicely together, which means you won’t be cursing at the pan at balls that fall apart — I really hate when that happens!
And for less than $5 per serve, you can have a delicious meal on the table in minutes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 410g tins diced tomatoes
- 850g beef mince
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp oregano, chopped
- 2/3 cup Parmesan, finely grated
- 200g fetta cheese
- 160g bocconcini cheese, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 220C or 200C fan-forced. Lightly grease a 2-litre ovenproof dish.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over moderately high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook and stir for 5 minutes, or until onion softens.
- Add tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 8-10 minutes, or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Place mince, basil, oregano and half the Parmesan in a large bowl. Using clean hands, mix well to combine. Divide into 18 portions.
- Cut fetta into 18 equal pieces. For each meatball, flatten a mince portion slightly and top with a piece of fetta. Shape mince around cheese to enclose and form a ball. Place in prepared pan.
- Pour tomato mixture over meatballs, then sprinkle with bocconcini.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese melts and meatballs are cooked.
- Sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top and serve.