Wanting to do something a little more creative with broccoli than just steaming it? This soup is a delicious way to use up this staple vegetable.
It’s so creamy and comforting, making it the perfect dish for winter. (The other good news is that you’ll also be able to freeze this for up to three months.)
- 500g potato, unpeeled and roughly chopped
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 2 heads broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch spring onion, sliced (reserve some if planning on eating soup immediately)
- 100g extra mature cheddar cheese, grated, plus extra to serve
- Pinch of nutmeg, plus extra to serve
- Put potatoes in a large pan with just enough water to cover them and crumble in stock cubes. Bring to the boil, then cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add broccoli, put the lid back on and cook for 5 minutes more. Throw in spring onions, cover and cook for a final 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat, then stir in cheese and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Whizz to a thick soup, adding more hot water until you get the consistency you like.
- Serve scattered with extra grated cheddar, spring onions and nutmeg or pepper.