These bouncy vanilla marshmallow treats make a great homemade gift and they contain just five ingredients. They are the perfect thing for a sweet afternoon pick-me-up.
These marshmallows will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.
- 10 sheets of gelatine
- 500g white caster sugar
- 2 tbsp liquid glucose
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- oil, for the tin
- 50g icing sugar, for dusting
- 50g cornflour, for dusting
- Separate the leaves of gelatine and tip into a glass bowl. Pour over 150ml of boiling water from a kettle and stir until the gelatine has completely dissolved — if its not dissolving give it 10-second blasts in the microwave and stir until it is. Scrape mixture into the bowl of a table top mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Tip caster sugar and liquid glucose into a saucepan with 200ml water boil vigorously until mixture reaches 127C on a cooking thermometer. When syrup is up to temperature turn the whisk down to a slowish beat and slowly pour the hot syrup over the gelatine mixture. Add vanilla extract and continue to whisk on high for 8 minutes until mixture has thickened to a point that it is shiny white and holds its shape.
- Lightly grease a 20cm x 20cm tin. Use a grease spatula to scrape mixture into the tin and use a piece of cling film to flatten it out. Leave for at least an hour to set. Loosen edges with a knife and dust a work surface with the rest of the icing sugar mixture. Turn marshmallow onto the icing sugar and use a knife dipped in boiling water to cut into squares. Dust with more of the icing sugar mix.