6 essential nutrients for healthy ageing in one delicious scoop

BOLD Health Protein Plus is a convenient and healthy way of getting some extra support for your body so you can keep doing the things you love! Image: Getty

Get a jump start on your ageing body’s need for more protein by taking care of nutrition with a plant-based health powder designed especially for over 55s.

Just as your skin changes as you age, so does your body. Your muscle mass decreases, and your body becomes less efficient in absorbing nutrients. Some of your prescribed medications might even inhibit nutrient absorption.

Research shows that more high-quality nutrients are required even though you need fewer calories. It’s also clear that diet quality can have a significant impact on physical strength, gut health, cognitive function, cardiovascular health, bone health, and immune system.

Keeping tabs of all your nutrients daily can be a little overwhelming and confusing! That’s where nutritional supplements, such as BOLD Protein Powder come in handy. Designed, packaged and formulated in Australia, BOLD contains healthy proteins and Omega-3’s as well as 25% of your daily recommended intake for multiple essential vitamins and minerals.

Let’s explore how one delicious scoop of BOLD provides all the vital nutrients for healthy ageing:

Protein

As we age, protein plays a particularly important role to prevent muscles from deteriorating, improve muscle tone and maintain energy balance. Protein is also crucial in weight management and cardiovascular function.

The real problem is that older bodies are less effective in absorbing protein, and protein intake needs can be up to 70 per cent higher than those for young adults. This means it is crucial to consume enough protein each day.

Omega-3 DHA

One of the good fats, Omega-3 DHA, is found in oily fish like salmon, nuts, and seeds such as walnuts and flaxseeds and avocado and tofu. By consuming Omega-3 rich foods can help with improving brain health and cognitive function, heart health, and combating inflammation

Fibre

Getting enough fibre in your diet means that things can move along nicely in your body.

Research has shown that high fibre diet can reduce the risk of bowel-related diseases and can significantly improve constipation and inflammation within the bowel wall.

Calcium and Vitamin D

Your body’s ability to absorb calcium also is reduced with age. Vitamin D is important here, too, because it helps the body absorb more calcium.

Approximately 99% of your body’s calcium is stored in the bones giving them their strength and density. The remaining 1% is found in the blood and is very strictly regulated. Getting enough calcium and Vitamin D in your diet means your body won’t have to tap into its reserve to get what the calcium that it needs.

Vitamin B12

The main role of Vitamin B12 is to maintain healthy blood cells and for healthy brain and nerve function.

After the 50, between 10 to 30 per cent of the population cannot absorb B12 from their diet effectively. This may be because of reduced stomach acid production and medications may prevent efficient absorption from food.

Magnesium

Most people don’t get enough magnesium from their food and often require magnesium supplementation.

Magnesium is a mineral required for over 300 processes in the body that is often depleted in adults of all ages. Supplements can help with muscle aches, pains, tension, sleep, mood, energy, heart health, and blood sugar balance.

Benefits of plant protein

Unlike animal-based protein powders, plant-based protein is suited to most body types and is gut-friendly and easily digested. Plant-based protein also includes fibre and probiotics to promote a happy and healthy stomach.

BOLD is easily mixed with water or milk, so you don’t have to use a blender to mix it all up! Add it into your oats, cereal, smoothies and more. It also has a natural vanilla flavour which means no artificial sweeteners and it tastes great on its own.

Empower your health today and take charge of your nutrition with 20 per cent off your BOLD order for a limited time only.

IMPORTANT LEGAL INFO This article is of a general nature and FYI only, because it doesn’t take into account your personal health requirements or existing medical conditions. That means it’s not personalised health advice and shouldn’t be relied upon as if it is. Before making a health-related decision, you should work out if the info is appropriate for your situation and get professional medical advice.

Are you taking any supplements?

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up